Monday, August 24, 2009

"Operation Garbage Bag"...



So, we're taking the first major step in getting our house in order. We're calling it "Operation Garbage Bag".

I hate to say it, but half of the stuff we have in this house doesn't even have a purpose anymore. Coloring pages that are half done, "Happy Meal" toys, pieces to puzzles that have somehow outlived the puzzle itself. And even the kids agree that they need to go.

So we're carrying a garbage bag around, room to room, mess to mess. Whenever we see something that needs to leave, we throw it in the bag. If it's something that we think someone else could use, we put it either in the "tag sale" bin or the "Goodwill" bag. But sadly, much of the mess really does need to go into the garbage. So far, I've put 5 bags out for garbage day; two with the girls' blessing and three without their knowing (Gramma and Papa took the girls for the afternoon while Mommy "got busy" on the livingroom.) But I have to say, the kids are actually being more cooperative than I was expecting. Even they are starting to feel a little bogged down. And I've given them quite the incentive....Once the house is clean, they can invite their friends over whenever they want.

And that really is one of my major incentives right now. One of my friends, actually the wife of one of my cousins, posted on Facebook that her house, at the time, was filled with a bunch of kids. I'll be honest, it made me cry. I want MY house to be a house where everyone can come to hang out. But right now, that's just not possible. My close friends know what my house looks like, and they know they are always welcome. They always come over, and they never judge. But I can't invite people over who aren't that close, friends from school, friends from camp, friends whom I'm sure really wouldn't care about the mess; but I care about the mess. It embarresses me.

So here's to a new beginning! Here's to, among other things, "Operation Garbage Bag"!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! You don't know me at all (I lurk at RQ), but I have to say that this was so familiar! I know what you mean about the kids' hangout. I want that for my little one, too.

    I have found FlyLady.net and Peter Walsh to be very helpful. You might find resources there to cheer you on.

    In the meantime, Go Operation Garbage Bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the new blog- and I totally know what you mean about the mess. I have a huge mess to deal with in my house now and after 14 hours at work I just can't deal with it. So instead I am posting photos from the first day of school on my blog and not cleaning. Tomorrow though.....
    hikinglorax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!

    Hey, here's a thought on those Happy Meal toys (unless they're really IN the trash, in which case, keep them there!): I toss them into a box and offer them alongside candy to Trick or Treaters -- those little toys ALWAYS go first!

    Okay, expecting more great things from your blog, your girls and you on the organization front...will stay tuned!

    TB

    ReplyDelete