Friday, August 28, 2009

Why Can't We Live in a Pottery Barn Catalog?


Some people lose themselves in a smutty romance novel, an exciting biography, a well written classic. Personally, I become completely enveloped in the Pottery Barn catalog.

I become literally mesmerized. This is the home that I want for myself and my kids. And I strive for it. I buy all the furniture, the rugs and quilts, the window coverings, the accessories. I even paint in the same colors.

But for some reason, mine just doesn't look the same. I bought the baskets with pretty pink gingham, but the toys don't find their way back to them as they always do in the catalog. I bought the bed and the beautiful linens, but I never have time to make the bed like it's always made in the catalog. And let's not even get started on the livingroom. The gorgeous PB rug is under there somewhere, but we can't even find it underneath all of the clutter.





I've cut these pages out of my catalog, and I have them hanging throughout the house. They are my inspiration. They are what lies beneath the mess if I can ever get it cleaned up.



In the meantime, however, I will lose myself in the beautiful, fanciful pictures. It reminds me of that song from the 70's, "Angie Baby" (yes, I'm old). Remember? She got sucked into her radio and had to live there forever? As long as I'm able to bring my kids, our cats, and my photo albums, I would gladly take the trip to my current Pottery Barn catalog! hahaha If I should happen to ever go missing, check your PB catalog for a mom, two kids and two tiger cats. There we will be living happily ever after :)


3 comments:

  1. Looking at Pottery Barn catalogues and wishing the rooms in our houses could look like the rooms featured, is like looking at fashion magazine and wishing we could look like the women featured in it! ;0)

    Personally, I couldn't be a size two if I tried. With five kids running around my house all day long every day, there is no way I will ever have a home that is picture perfect. I've given up on the idea (though I did strive for it for a while).

    However, I am all for reorganizing, throwing out and getting rid of. We collect way too much stuff in my house, and my girls' room looks like a tornato hit it. I have managed to de-clutter the rooms that people see when they visit. Now, if I could only motivate myself to do the rest!

    Best of luck with your decluttering and simplifying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi fellow RQer here. I love you "inspiration" photos...and if it makes you feel any better, I did notice in an earlier post the pink and white baskets with the books in them. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the encouragement on RQ. The wait is so hard.

    BTW: I was so excited when I got the last PB catalog and thumbed through to the shot you chose of the living room...I went racing to my husband with a look look....the couch & ottoman looked just like ours, I was so proud...he failed to find the excitement in this discovery *wink* :o) Perhaps next time I'll do the price difference before racing...that would probably capture his appreciation a tad more ;o)

    (Dreaming of Cassie from RQ)

    ReplyDelete